All around the world, as we brace for the worst yet hope for the best...
We have put together this little message that we hope will be a lifeline in the form of yarn. With resources and pretty pictures to help you pass the time more peacefully, immersed in your passion.
Over the next four weeks, we will release a previous Knit Stars workshop each week for free.
This week's is Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Secrets of Knitting Happiness. Go behind the scenes with Ann & Kay of MDK in their Nashville workspace, as they help you bust common myths, like "Good yarn has to be expensive," "Garter Stitch is Boring" and "Beginners Must Start with Easy Projects."
Each Free Stars workshop will be available for one week. All you have to do is create an account, login and watch, here.
Free How-to-Knit Video Series
Are you stuck at home with extra yarn and extra time? Teach others in your house to knit - or expand your own repertoire. Here is a series of starter videos we created several years ago for our first LoopsClub launch. Each one includes a simple pattern that you can screenshot. Chances are, you've got some yarn in your stash that will work. They are free to you, starting now!
• How to Knit: Jana’s Scarf
• How to Purl: The Double-Seed Scarf
• How to YO: The Effin Scarf
More cool (free) resources!
• Need homeschooling help? Check out Khan Academy - free online school closure resources for ages 4-18
• ARNE & CARLOS are doing a daily quarantine podcast! Check out their Youtube channel
• Need more shows and movies to watch while making stuff? I asked my friends for "happy or funny" recommendations and got some great ideas. Check out this post on our Facebook page for the full list. (The list is in the post message, not the video itself).
• Meditation can be very helpful during stressful times. I use the apps “Simple Habit” and “Waking Up.” My friend Ruth shared this free resource for guided imagery. They will have a free guided imagery audio stream every day.
What better message of hope than to start on a baby blanket? (You know there are already predictions of a baby boom nine months from now 😉)
We have the perfect heirloom baby blanket project that any modern mommy will love! Available in three striking, non-traditional color combinations, the Chevron Baby Blanket is made of Blue Sky Organic Cotton. This yarn has proven to be a timeless favorite for us year after year. It is an environmentally friendly, naturally soft yarn in a two ply worsted weight.
Kits are available in Caribbean (shown), pink and blue, and contain 1 skein each of 5 colors of 150 yards of organic worsted weight cotton. You'll need a 24-32" circular needle in size 7-9 (depending on how tightly or loosely you knit). The pattern by Espace Tricot is free on Ravelry.
Scoop up your kit here.
Our Hot Loops party is going virtual!
If you've always wanted to attend our signature event, this is your year 🎉
Our signature event, the Hot Loops wall reveal, will be held ONLINE starting at 7pm Friday, April 3rd.
We'll reveal our 2020 Spring Hot Loops Wall, featuring an up-and-coming indie dyer. The dyer (and possibly some other special guests) will join us online for the event!
Your $25 reservation for the online event gets you:
• First look at the new Spring Hot Loops Wall yarn and projects
• An exclusive link to place your online order ahead of the pack
Party favor (limited to first 75 who sign up)
• $25 credit toward your online purchases that evening!
Purchase your $25 ticket and the week before the event, you'll receive a link and instructions for joining in via Zoom on Friday, April 3. During the event, we'll share the secret shopping link.
nstead of our usual Loops Food, we'd like to offer you some food for thought. This poem by Pope Francis was shared by our team member, Teresa, and personally brought me hope and comfort. May it do the same for you.
Tonight before falling asleep
think about when we will return to the street.
When we hug again,
when all the shopping together will seem like a party.
Let's think about when the coffees will return to the bar,
the small talk, the photos close to each other.
We think about when it will be all a memory but normality
will seem an unexpected and beautiful gift.
We will love everything that has so far seemed futile to us.
Every second will be precious.
Swims at the sea the sun until late, sunsets, toasts, laughter.
We will go back to laughing together.
Strength and courage.
- POPE FRANCIS
Let’s keep knitting the world together 🌎💙
- Shelley and the Loops Troops